Past Blogs

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Happy Birthday Cole!

Saturday was a day for the number 3.  It started when I woke up and got ready to do the Splash and Dash race for the swim team.  The goal is to swim a half mile and run 4 miles into town.  I went to the Pool and found a swimmer for me. I was number 3 to arrive.  A high school boy was my swimmer. Then I got to leave, number 3 from the pool and run to town, where I arrived 3rd.  I beat my time - I have been running 4 miles in 40 minutes.  I think I did it in 39 which made our total time 53:00.  Cool!

Then onto the next fun:
Cole had his birthday party, a real party with friends and everything.  Some of the kids had their faces painted at the Rec Center during the health fair and kept the makeup on for the party.  It was really cute.
The menu:  Pigs in a blanket, flavored water, grapes and cracker sticks with cheese.  All fun party snacks.  The adults- were enjoying coffee with a bit of Bailey's, sushi, and moose.

In true party fashion, the gift opening lasted about 5 minutes.  He would open one, toss it, and open the next.  All the while Angie is saying, say thank you-- Tcoot- Cole's way.  

To me the cake was the best part!  The night before I spent 6 grueling hours looking at a Thomas Cake tutorial and following it step by step.  My cake did not look like the one on the computer, but Cole knew it was Thomas.  Thank goodness, because it could have been mistaken for an oldman on a pile of slop :)
The face was made from marshmallow and powdered sugar.  It is called Fondant.  New to me!  It is edible modeling clay and most commonly found on fancy cakes.  I think the face weighed about 3 pounds.  Making the total weight, like 20!  2 sheet cakes, cut up and a double batch of frosting, good cake but watch out arteries.
A satisfied boy!  This is after everyone left, he got back into the cake.  I guess that meant he liked it!  

After the 3 year old party we took a drive out to Banner Creek for a 30 year old party.  Bonfire, good laughs and good times.  Laureli turned 30.  I am glad she turned it first, so I could see what it was like.  No change, just fun times. 


4 comments:

Amy&AndyinAlaska said...

Did you and Ang have a cake-off this year?? We heard the other Polk girl logged some major hours on a cake too! Lots sugar=lots of love for Cole!

Thanks for sharing!!
A&A

Anonymous said...

Good job on the cake! It looks just like Thomas and from the look of Cole's face, it was yummy! Thanks for making him such a great cake!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the highlights of Cole's birthday party with us all. Looks like everyone had a great time. The cake is the best. I've heard of fondant but have never tried making it. They say it's pretty difficult. If you don't watch out, you'll be making cakes for the whole community!

YLM

löki gale said...

I think that looks just like Thomas!