Past Blogs

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Anchorage...

From Nome Sweet Nome.....
To Our New Home Sweet Home....
The last of our belongings were transported today by Zeb and his sister to our storage unit via U-Haul.  We are officially here.

Zeb's parents have taken the time to make the condo warm and inviting for us.  We had to make a few changes in the past day like putting our bed in the living room so Victoria can get a good night's sleep, and but they did a wonderful job of child proofing and making a nice "home" for us.

Still feels like we are visitors here in the "Big Village."  We are getting accustomed to taking 1 hour trips to the store instead of 5 minute ones.  Driving in the car for 30 minutes to get anywhere instead of taking quick walks to your destination, etc, etc.  Anchorage is different, but it is our new home and I am getting used to that.  I am reminded of Michelle Shocked's song "Anchored Down in Anchorage" as I write.  My brother in law had me listen to this song many years ago, but today it has new meaning.  After being in rural Alaska for over 10 years, more if you count the summers before I moved to Nome, the big city seems overwhelming.  It is strange because in 2002 I loved shopping and all the amenities big cities had to offer.  I think this will just take some getting used to again.

We are traveling to Soldotna for a few days and then actually headed back to Nome so Zeb can finish out one more week of work.  Once the last week of June sets in I plan to explore my new surroundings more and not feel so "Anchored Down."

No comments: