Sheep Hunting in Kotzebue~ What can be said? I have never seen terrain like that here, nor have I hiked it. It was beautiful. We camped at the base of mountains, just south of the Brooks Range. Dahl Sheep need a contiguous mountain range to travel on, which is why we do not have any in Nome. We were lucky to see 5 smaller bulls on the first day, but decided to wait till later in the trip. On day 2 we saw 1 sheep. Hence, we did not get one. Zeb will be trying later in September. We did see bears, moose, and a porcupine. So all was not lost. The hiking was difficult but the view from the top made it all worth while, afterall that is what I was getting ready for by running all summer. After hunting for 3 days, we ventured off to the Kelly River to camp and try our luck at Fly Fishing. Zeb caught a beautiful Dolly, the biggest one I had ever seen! I got skunked- but it was fun trying. The next day we set off for the Wulluk River, to try and catch a record Char. We both were able to catch several fish, but no records were broken that day. I was a great rest from everything before my busy week at school. It starts with kids on Monday, and I have been preparing all week. I even get to sing with my students at the assembly on Thursday, for our state Senators and the Secretary of Education that are coming for a visit! Exciting!!!
Past Blogs
Saturday, August 25, 2007
Sheep Hunting
Sheep Hunting in Kotzebue~ What can be said? I have never seen terrain like that here, nor have I hiked it. It was beautiful. We camped at the base of mountains, just south of the Brooks Range. Dahl Sheep need a contiguous mountain range to travel on, which is why we do not have any in Nome. We were lucky to see 5 smaller bulls on the first day, but decided to wait till later in the trip. On day 2 we saw 1 sheep. Hence, we did not get one. Zeb will be trying later in September. We did see bears, moose, and a porcupine. So all was not lost. The hiking was difficult but the view from the top made it all worth while, afterall that is what I was getting ready for by running all summer. After hunting for 3 days, we ventured off to the Kelly River to camp and try our luck at Fly Fishing. Zeb caught a beautiful Dolly, the biggest one I had ever seen! I got skunked- but it was fun trying. The next day we set off for the Wulluk River, to try and catch a record Char. We both were able to catch several fish, but no records were broken that day. I was a great rest from everything before my busy week at school. It starts with kids on Monday, and I have been preparing all week. I even get to sing with my students at the assembly on Thursday, for our state Senators and the Secretary of Education that are coming for a visit! Exciting!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Nikki: Thought I would get a post in. Hope Zeb has better luck the rest of Sept. I must have been a great trip even without bagging a Big Horn. Later, Love DAD
Post a Comment