Past Blogs

Monday, August 23, 2010

Catch for the Cache

One of our main jobs in the summer is to fill our freezer with good food for the winter. We had plenty of berries this year, but we were lacking in salmon. We headed out again to the Sinuk River last weekend, and this time we were successful! 10 fish is about all we need in our freezer and that is just what we were able to get with our subsistence permit.


Silvers are so fun to catch! They are real fighters. I still recall my first silver fishing experience. I was in a Zodiac on the Snake River in 1998. Angie caught one first and I was so jealous! Yelling profane remarks I am sure, but then I caught one. It is on tape some where, the 10 minute battle to bring it a board the inflatable ship, yelling, almost crying at times! I sure have come along way since then!

Now I feel more talented in the conquest of the silver salmon! My arms were a little sore and I lost a hook, but it was still worth it. Since we were out there on a "mission" to fill the freezer, we left the fly rods at home and used the trusty "Ugly Sticks."

We accomplished our mission and filled the freezer.

We will continue our subsisting by trying again for sheep in September, followed by moose and caribou to top off the true "surf" and "turf" Alasktarian Diet.



No comments: