Past Blogs

Monday, September 13, 2010

Sheep Hunt 2010 Attempt 2

Well, we made it back from sheep hunt 2. I will spare you the suspense and let you know up front that we did not get one. We did not see any legal ones, but we did see some!
This area was a lot different from the hunt before. It was just as amazing as last time, but so very different! We went up two different river beds and each day our hike spanned about 10 miles. Tiring, but beautiful. Having good boots was key! Glad I invested in those during the summer.

We had every kind of weather from rain, to frost, to sun, to fog. I thought we were not going to make it out on Monday AM. When we woke up you could not see the mountains around us. The weather finally cleared and gave us a good path back to Kotzebue.

Only 2 bears this trip and 5 caribou on the runway. We were tempted to shoot a caribou if we did not get a sheep but there were 3 ladies and 2 young. Would have been terrible if we shot one of the moms or aunties and I could not bear that! So for now the freezer is full of fish and berries. Hopefully when Zeb goes moose hunting in a few weeks he will make up for my shortcomings on the sheep trail.

No more trips planned this fall. I have to fill out my permit as an unsuccessful hunt. I am so glad I had the opportunity and that my husband enjoyed taking me and showing me the ropes as a hunter this time, not just a spectator!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. I can't belive how barren the mountains look. Looks like you both had a great time. Maybe you can document your adventure and all the different weather in a kids book some day.

YLM