Past Blogs

Monday, November 7, 2011

Thank You Grandma!


I am not sure about anyone else growing up in the Midwest, but banana bread always seemed to be something we ate! In fact when my family (gram, aunts, cousins) has a gathering, banana bread is always one of the things there. The menu might be some sort of Midwest "casserole", salad, veggies and dip, cookies, etc, and of course banana bread. When I was home in October, we had a party at my parents and sure enough, 2 loaves of nicely cut banana bread were on the "snack" table.

Well, I have been trying to make delicious, moist banana bread for awhile now. I finally found my grandma's recipe that seemed to have been hiding from me. (Her recipe really is the best!) I asked her why my banana bread never turned out moist and she responded with, "Your air is probably to dry in Alaska. The weather has to be right to make bread." I never thought of this dilemma before. I actually just thought I was missing a step, or had bad bananas or something. So I checked the humidity in the air- apparently 72% is a good amount and my bread turned out- MOIST!
Thank you grandma! Never again will I try to make bread on dry days :)

No comments: