Past Blogs

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Victoria's First "Dolly"

We have begun to read to Victoria on a regular basis since she hit the 3 1/2 month mark.  Why 3 1/2 months?  She did not really start showing interest in her surroundings until then 2) She started showing interest in the TV if it was on during feedings etc. and we had to turn it off and 3) It just seemed like the right time to expose her to stories to begin all those good things that baby brains need like making connections with words and pictures and hearing her parents voices make rhythmic sounds, etc.  Well thanks to Dolly Parton's Imagination Library we receive a book in the mail every month until she reaches 5 years old.  The program is really cool and I encourage you to look it up to see if it exists in your community and if you live in Nome- let me know if you want to start getting books, I can point you in the right direction.

Anyway the second book was "Whose Baby Am I?"  It was mentioned in Victoria's 5 month old blog post.  She loves this book.  She could be in a fussy mood and all you need to do is pull out this book and she smiles.  It excites me not only as a teacher, but also as her mama that books can make her happy! 
I am not sure what makes this book so interesting, but when I read the last page she always laughs and smiles.  (By the way it is just a polar bear baby and it's mama, no background, no bright colors, nothing.)  So thank you Dolly Parton for bringing the idea of sending books to children in the mail, all the way up to Nome, Alaska. And thank you to Nome Literacy Council for making Dolly's idea a reality here. 

1 comment:

Lisa. said...

So cute! I cannot believe how much she has grown and changed in just the few weeks since we were on Skype! Hope you all are well... thinking of you : ) xoxo