Past Blogs

Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Beginning of the End.........

The Beginning of the End of the Iditarod Race!

Today in Nome the clear, sunny, -25 temps began the week of Iditarod madness that consumes the city.  The City plows and dump trucks were out putting up the Iditarod Arch.  For those who are not familiar with the Iditarod, it is a 1,049 mile or so, dog sled race from Anchorage to Nome.  Yes, downtown Nome is the finish line for the Iditarod
 Race.  I have been to the race from 2002 until now. But this year I am headed to Vegas.  Wahoooo! Good bye cold, hello warmer weather.
I was able to partake in some of the events today, including the Snow Sculpting Competition.  Contestants were given a block of snow and 4 hours to carve, man powered tools only.  In the cold weather man power was all we had to keep us warm.  Below is our creation!  Not bad for beginners hey?  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I wanted to go today but I've been fighting off something this weekend. I didn't think it was smart to go out in the windchill. How did you do? Who won?

Well, I hope you have a good time in Vegas. When you get back, we should get together and do something. It's been a long time since we hung out!

löki gale said...

hey Mackie!

lgt